Friday, September 16, 2011

Culture Shock: Part I - Beginnings

Culture Shock is real kids. You hear the stories and never think it will happen to you.
Rest assured, it will.


My first few days were full of meeting new people, seeing new places, eating amazing food, and sleeping like rock (thank you jet lag). With getting settled, sightseeing, visiting relatives, shopping, and getting everything ready for work, the days were jam packed and flew by.

My aunt took us to see the last night of Indrajatra, which is an 8 day long festival in a very old part of the city, 
Kasthamandap
temple made entirely from a
single  tree without any iron
nails or supports,
the capital Kathmandu
is named after it.
(Kath means wood)
Hanuman Dhoka, the Kathmandu Durbar Square.



Kathmandu
Durbar Square
We walked around as she told us all the legends behind the festival. 

Later that night, we saw the living goddess, Kumari, being pulled by chariot (yes, an actual chariot, pulled by people) to the Kumari Ghar. She is preceeded by the other living deities, Ganesh and Kumar.




(Kumari House aka house of god: 261 Layaku St)


















The legend of the Kumari and how she is chosen is fascinating but I won’t go too far into it. (If you’re interested, there’s more about it online or you can watch the 2008 documentary Living Goddess.) The little girl is treated as a living deity and commands the utmost respect. Thousands come to watch, hoping for even a glimpse of her. During the festival of Dashain, hundreds of people line up every day to be given a tikka by her hand. A tikka is a blessing placed on the forehead, symbolizing opening up the third eye, which gives one wisdom, concentration, spirituality, and luck.

Chariot pulled by Nepalis

Ganesh

My first sari

Everything felt new, exciting, and interesting. I was captivated by the legends behind the structures and festival, like having a story unfold in front of me. I really enjoy history and mythology.

I bought my first ever saris and kurta salwars to wear during the holidays coming up.

The short time we spent at home was spent meeting relatives and playing with my cousins’ adorable kids. My family would not let us help out with any housework because we still felt like guests to them. As my mom put it, “Life here is a vacation.”



No comments:

Post a Comment