Friday, September 23, 2011

Language Barrier


writing_hindi1.png
One of the biggest hurdles of living abroad is language differences. Language is incredibly important, not only in getting ideas across but in making connections. People underestimate the value of connectedness until you’re surrounded by the senseless twangs and twitters of a language you don’t understand. It’s incredibly frustrating, not to mention lonely. When you finally come across someone that speaks your language, it’s like a sigh of relief, an immediate feeling of closeness.

My first official day at the hospital, I met two Australian medical students and instantly felt relieved like letting out a breath I didn’t 
know I was holding. “YES! There are foreigners to experience this with me, AND I can speak English, thank god.” Even though I can understand Nepali, it’s still foreign to me, a completely different phoneme set. I never learned it in school, and I haven’t used it extensively in over a decade. It takes an extra second and some mental work before the message relays. Even though I had just met them, I felt an instant sense of comfort. I know they can understand me. Ashleigh & Heidi were my saviors my first few days at Kanti Children’s Hospital. They showed me around and gave me a proper orientation. They had already been at Kanti for three weeks and are almost done with medical school so I had a lot to learn from them. I could translate for them, and they could explain the medical cases to me when the doctors were too busy. Ashleigh mentioned that explaining cases and treatments to me was a nice refresher for her. I’d say the three of us made a pretty good team. Unfortunately, the next week they were off to a different department, different team. Alone again, but this time I am a lot more confident…

Although at the time it was frustrating, I’m really grateful that I grew up multilingual. When I was young I hated attending ESL (English as a Second Language – yes, I only learned English when I was 3 or 4 in case you were wondering) and being confused about what language to use. Now, I can’t imagine not being able to understand my own family. Looking back, I laugh because my Nepali only ever comes out when I need to speak about something in private. When I’m out shopping with my mom in the U.S. and we’re being hounded by pushy salesman, I can talk freely without worrying about them cleverly twisting my words. I chuckle thinking about how my aunts and uncles seamlessly go back and forth among three or four languages all in one conversation without missing a beat. Sometimes I wonder if they even notice it. The words are arbitrary. They translate into meaning no matter what language is spoken.

At the hospital, I see how hard it is for other foreign students who have to sit and wait for someone to translate for them. Even then, sometimes thick accents can block any sort of understanding. However, it is nice to know that people here WILL try to communicate and translate for you. All the doctors speak English and Nepali. Most can also speak Hindi, and some of the surrounding dialects. With a little hand waving/pointing, and writing, the point gets across.  
Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment