Saturday, October 1, 2011

a night in the jungle


6hrs later, we reach Chitwan, the most humid place on the planet as far as I’m concerned.

 
The road to the hotel is a never ending dirt path with rice fields on either side. The trees start to get denser and the straight road becomes winding as we get closer.

 After checking out the rooms and compound, we have lunch and discuss our plans.

First up, hop on some elephants and scope out the national park for tigers

Now this is my first time riding an elephant. The last time I had the chance, I was 4 and it was about 10x my size, I was terrified. So now getting on the elephant (who wouldn’t stop moving around) I was just a little bit anxious. Once we got going, I felt a little relieved …until I saw that up ahead we had to cross a river. I felt like I was playing real life Oregon-Trail except I had no wagon to caulk.

       

Once we crossed the river, it turned out to be a blast.
We spotted the normal sights: deer, wild pig, Kingfisher and other birds. Our guide pointed to something across the stream, I couldn’t quite see what it was until we got closer—a mother rhino with her baby! When we got close, they moved away into the brush and the mother flashed a warning. We went across the stream to get a better look and all of a sudden we hear the rhino charge, thankfully not at us.

 
After navigating through the brush on the lookout for more wildlife, we cross the stream and make our way back through the jungle… which is when the guide casually tells us that a elephant recently got stuck in that stream and also that our seats were not well tied which is why the guide kept shifting to maintain balance …exactly what you want to hear when you’re about to cross a river on an elephant. Crossing that river a second time seemed ages longer than the first but we made it back for sunset so the magnificent view made it worth it.

   

Exhausted, we retired to our rooms to shower and freshen up for dinner.

Exhaustion swept away my prior worries that a tiger or rhino might somehow eat me in my sleep. It did not, unfortunately, wipe away the awful sticky feeling of humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment