Friday, October 7, 2011

Victory


Yesterday was the tenth day of Dashain, one of the biggest holidays celebrated throughout the country. 

The tenth day (Tikka ko din), everyone receives a tikka from the eldest member of your own household and in the next 5 days you go to every household in your family to receive tikka from the eldest member there. 

Families get together and feast to celebrate the victory of the gods over the demons.




Last night, my mom left for NY.
...leaving me alone to represent our family at the celebrations.

Today, my oldest uncle hosted a feast for our entire family (easily over 100 people). It was my first big family party in a decade and I had to tackle it on my own. I still have not met everyone so I was a bit nervous but the party was a blast.


I was told that my language skills have gone from 60 to 85% which is reason enough to celebrate.


I’ll miss my mom being here 
but I feel more confident than ever that I can handle this alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment