Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Home Sick, not to be confused with homesick.


I know I’m on the path to becoming a doctor but I still hate going to the doctor’s. After over a week of a sore throat and cough during the holidays, I was still holding strong. Until last night when I was abruptly woken up at 3am by an unbearably dry sore throat, cough, fever, and racing heart beat. I’m cranky when I don’t get sleep so off I went to make this go away.

The doc ordered a typical 5 day course of antibiotics

Day 1 – I feel worse, can barely talk without wanting to somehow shove ice down my throat to soothe it. This is going to be fun.

Probably the worst part is that this means I can’t work. I’m in the minority that actually hates calling in sick. Staying home is like admitting defeat. Part of me feels like I’m lying, screaming “Yeah you can work, you wimp, you’re just making excuses.” Will my boss think the same? Am I really not able to work today? Can I possibly work from home? …and you can see where this cycle goes. 
Short story, I’m a workaholic, I hate giving up when I could be doing something.

However, this is a whole different story. This week I was supposed to start in adult oncology. There is absolutely no way I’d set foot inside that door. Even if I put on a mask, viewed from afar, and took all precautions, it just doesn’t feel right. I came here to volunteer and learn, staying at home does nothing for me but even the slight risk of spreading an infection to a patient or health care team member far outweighs any benefit. Not just because this is a developing country, I recall feeling the same when calling in sick while volunteering at Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston. The workaholic in me caves when I realize it compromises the cost-benefit ratio. All those hours spent on CITI certifications has reinforced that nagging feeling of my conscience. If it was office paper work or school work, it would be different. If I were an essential member of the team, if it wasn’t a high risk immunocompromised patient population, if this wasn’t a third world country with high rates of infection, maybe I’d give it a second thought…? Probably not, but either way, right now, it’s just not happening. My conscience is pretty clear on that. 

Here comes five days in sweats, slurping piping hot chicken soup, endlessly gargling salt water, aimlessly trying to pass time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment