Thursday, November 17, 2011

the team




Finally got over that wretched illness and got back to work. I started at a private hospital on Sunday

–inpatient rounds and outpatient clinic in the morning, and the operation theatre in the afternoons.
The doctors  have been spectacular and it is pretty amazing to see them in action (read more about one of the consultant surgeons) . It is thrilling to think that I’ll one day be in their shoes.


I get to see patients all the way through from the initial consultation to post-op follow-ups. Being at a private clinic, the doctors have a lot more time to explain EVERYTHING to me - everything from how to read an x-ray and explaining diagnoses/diseases/treatments to showing me step by step several surgical procedures, how to manage anesthesiology, pre/post-op procedures.

kidney stones
after removal
As a sidenote, after seeing mini-Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (MPCNL – kidney stone removal) and laparoscopic surgery…. 

I asked one of the doctors what we’re doing today, and he replied with treasure hunting. Kidney stones really do look like gold on a video feed, and the electrohydraulic gun used to break large stones into smaller pieces sounds like a paintball gun, to top it off, the forceps used to grab the pieces out looks like a giant claw game
Of course that is an immensely simplified way of looking at a difficult technique, but still… I’m now completely convinced surgeons have to be really good at video games :) and also can confirm the well known fact that anesthesiologists are multi-tasking geniuses.

some of the team relaxing before getting started for the day
The doctors, PAs, nurses, interns, and other staff are a tightly knit, highly cohesive AND incredibly welcoming group. They’re professional, fun, friendly, easy-going, and amazing at what they do. As we sat in the lounge chatting and joking around, waiting for the next case, one of the doctors said to me, “You know it’s always like this, day or night, we spend most of our time here; these are my friends, my family, my coworkers, my team.”

Described it perfectly.
I want that.

1 comment: